FREDERICTON (GNB) – New Brunswickers are reminded to take precautions to protect their families and homes from the risks of fire over the holiday season.

“While we celebrate the holidays with decorations such as lights, ornaments and trees, we must be careful because they may pose a fire hazard,” said Justice and Public Safety Minister Hugh J. Flemming.

Here are some fire safety tips for the household:

  • Do not set your tree up near a heat source such as a radiator, television, fireplace, heating duct or sunny window. It should not block doors or windows.
  • Never use lit candles on the tree.
  • Water your Christmas tree daily, do not let it dry out.
  • Remove the tree within 10 to 14 days. After that amount of time in a heated building, even the freshest tree can start to dry out.
  • Inspect lights before use. Check for cracked bulbs and for frayed, broken or exposed wires and discard the faulty items.
  • Use Canadian Standards Association (CSA) certified lights.
  • Indoor lights should not be used outdoors because they lack the weatherproof connections. Also, some outdoor lights generate too much heat for indoor use.
  • Place candles away from anything that could catch fire.
  • Never leave lit candles unattended.
  • Never burn gift wrappings, boxes, cartons, or other types of packaging in the fireplace. They burn too rapidly and generate too much heat.
  • Do not use Christmas trees for firewood.
  • Give home smoke and carbon monoxide detectors as gifts.

“It is important to ensure that your home has properly-installed smoke and carbon monoxide alarms and that they are checked on a regular basis,” said Flemming. “A safe and happy holiday season to all New Brunswickers as we help spread the word on fire safety.”

More fire safety information is available online.

Media Contact(s)

Jean Bertin, communications, Department of Justice and Public Safety, 506-457-6429, jean.bertin@gnb.ca.

Original Link: https://www2.gnb.ca/content/gnb/en/news/news_release.2020.12.0677.html

Photo by: freestocks.org from Pexels

Leave a Reply